Re: autoconf hangs due to autom4te.cache and NFS problem on AIX

From: Chris Pickett
Subject: Re: autoconf hangs due to autom4te.cache and NFS problem on AIX
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:00:42 -0500

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Chris Pickett wrote:
Note that I've had autoconf working on this system for about a year, this only started happening recently... something changed, somewhere.

I think that it is reasonable to initially assume that something changed in autoconf which aggravates this problem somehow. It may be that there is a race condition in the autoconf script which causes a locked file to be removed while an autoconf-initiated process is still using it, and that this sub-process then hangs.

What I meant by that was that I don't think I changed anything in my home directory, 2.61 just stopped working. (And so did SVN.) The problem may have always existed... you apparently need a sick NFS on AIX to expose it.

Chris