Re: AS_CASE vs case/esac

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: AS_CASE vs case/esac
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:52:31 -0400

On 3/13/08, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> * NightStrike wrote on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:35:47PM CET:
> >
> > Ok, now I understand.  This is quite an interesting situation.  I am
> > guessing that this is why tools like autoscan or autoupdate will use
> > actual case/if statements instead of the AS_CASE/IF macros.
>
> Where do they do that?  autoscan and autoupdate mostly predate these
> AS_CASE/IF features.

For instance, when replacing a cygwin test with:

case $host_os in
  *cygwin* ) CYGWIN=yes
  * ) CYGWIN=no;;
esac

instead of an AC_CASE equivalent.  Autoscan in particular also always
wants to put in a bug pile of macros listed in the manual as obsolete.

> > The bottom line is that if I stay away from AC_REQUIRE inside of these
> > macros, there shouldn't ever be a problem, yes?
>
> Sure.  But originally, this was invented as a feature, not a problem, so
> you may get into the situation to use it as such.  ;-)

hmm.. I will keep that in mind, then (As per your grep example).