Re: Help building a MSVC project

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Help building a MSVC project
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:08:15 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 04:47:54PM -0400, epswint wrote:
> I've done plenty of programming, but no experience with compiling/building
> on Linux.  I'd like to contribute to the LiquidPCB project
> (http://liquidpcb.org/Download/download.html) but I haven't gotten all the
> way through the autoconfig and automake manuals.  If someone could a bit of
> assistance it would be appreciated!

google for "Autotools tutorial" by Alexandre Duret-Lutz; that's by
far the best intoduction, with nice examples.

But you may be able to get out without studying Autoconf and Automake.

If they release a tarball, (*.tar.gz pr *.tar.bz2) you can download
it, uncompress and build (configure, make, make install).
Then you can modify some C sources, generate patches (diffs against
the priginal) and submit it to them.

Even if the tarball is a few days old, your patches will be still
usable, as soon as the code you are changing did not changed in the
develpment version, so the diff can be applied.

Or, if you need to use a version checkout from a VCS (git,
subversion, cvs, or whatever), you just install the right packages
(by a tool provided by your GNU/Linux distribution, eg. yum on
Fedora) and issue "./autogen.sh" or something like that.  Again, the
people developing the particular project should give you short list
of commands necessary to "bootstrap" the project.

Hope this helps,
        Stepan Kasal