header check, cross compiling and compiler version?

From: aaragon
Subject: header check, cross compiling and compiler version?
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:22:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I used to write c++ code in Ubuntu Linux, and then I started working on Mac
OS so I had to transfer all my c++ code to the new system. My first task was
to get a newer compiler than the one that is shipped by default with Leopard
so using macports I compiled GCC v4.3. Now, for my surprise, most of my code
didn't compile because it seems that the hash_set and hash_map (previously
found under the ext/ directory) now became unordered_set and unordered_map,
so I guess they are standard.

So, I had not only the header problem, but also the compiler version and the
OS is different as well. I was using autotools before, but I didn't have all
these checks. Honestly, I don't know how to solve these problems. I still
need to compile the code on Linux machines, but then I have to #define a
variable for the  different headers. It would be nice if one could detect
the system type, and then add directories to the search for headers. I
couldn't find anything that accomplishes this so I was wondering if it is
possible. For example, if I am in a Darwin OS, I could add directories
/opt/local/include (macports) or /sw/include (fink) to the search. Is there
a way to do this using autoconf?

What is the best approach to take in these cases? Do you define parameters
in config.h for later use for each OS, compiler version? Please help, I'm
really lost,

aa