Re: Not installing local library.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Not installing local library.
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:55:47 +0200

Hello Edward,

* Edward Tomasz Napierala wrote on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 01:51:28PM CEST:
> I have a program thad depends on a library.  I want to achieve
> the following: if the library is already installed, than use it,
> linking dynamically.  If it's not installed, then build it (it's
> included in the program tarball) and link against it statically.
> It pretty much works, except that in the latter case 'make install'
> in program source directory installs the library too, and I don't
> want that to happen - I want it to install only the main program,
> and not the library and its headers.  How to do that?

Does this help?
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.autoconf.general/10512/focus=10515>
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.general/9363/focus=9365>

>         SMF_LIBS="../libsmf/src/.libs/libsmf.a"

Strictly speaking, it could be .libs or _libs (but systems where .libs
doesn't work are dying out).  Anyway, you shouldn't have to know.  The
rest is answered in the threads above.

Cheers,
Ralf, in recycling answers mode  ;-)