Re: Issues w/ cross-compiling

From: Philip A. Prindeville
Subject: Re: Issues w/ cross-compiling
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:44:08 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
[snip]
I attached the tarball that I tested. I think it's
primarily by the bug of bcc (not of autoconf), bcc
does not issue an error in the compilation that
should not be compiled successfully. But I wish if
autoconf has any workaround, or pre-checking of
bcc to avoid the trouble. Other legacy C compilers
(in 16bit era) are tested and known to work well?

I have no idea.  But Autoconf is pretty old, at least
it already existed at a time where 16bit was very common.

If you have a way to actually execute code on the compile
system (get binfmt to execute 'elksemu $binary' should be
possible), then you can avoid compile-only tests and make
AC_COMPUTE_INT use the cheaper execution test.

What about using 'nm'? Generate an object file (or intermediate object file) with two adjacent symbols (packed) of the same size, and subtract the difference in addresses?

-Philip