Re: autoconf - threads [paraller] - multicore CPUs

From: litlle girl
Subject: Re: autoconf - threads [paraller] - multicore CPUs
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:16:20 +0200

> Are you talking about autotools like `autoscan' and `autoconf', or the
> generated ./configure itself?

I was thinking about autotools and ./configure itself.
For end user  ./configure itself is more important (more ofen used).

Each is dependent on many things, such as m4 and whatever /bin/sh
> happens to point to.
>
> To make the tools truly friendly for SMP systems, they would have to be
> re-written. The only (viable) library that I have seen thus far is from
> Intel and remains proprietary.

Ok,
maybe turn ./configure more SMP will be easier?
What about split ./configure to n files

(n=2 for dualcore)
./configure ==> ./configure1 +  ./configure2
and then
/bin/sh ./configure1 &
/bin/sh ./configure2 &

or
in ./configure
odd commands run normally
and even with &

Autoconf / configure is quite forky and expensive, but is worth the
> cost.

I was checking my cores load, and the second one has a lot of idle, when
./configure goes.

Regs,
LLG