Re: Detailed structure checks

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Detailed structure checks
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:39:39 +0100

Hi Peter,

* Peter O'Gorman wrote on Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 07:22:06AM CET:
> Tim Post wrote:
> >
> > Thank you. I'm not sure how I could have missed that. Autoconf is
> > probably one of the best documented projects available .. the manual is
> > so massive that sometimes its easy to get lost :)
>
> I agree, if I get the time, I will create a 'quick reference' that lists
> not-deprecated autoconf macros, their arguments, and a short (1 line?)
> description, and submit it to the -patches list.

Best would probably be something that generates automatically from the
manual or the m4 source files, so that keeping it up to date doesn't
involve remembering another location.  Hmm, the indices like
<http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Autoconf-Macro-Index.html>
are probably only a bit short (and making their entries a lot longer
looks a bit ugly in the info output).  But either improving them, or
adding another texinfo index with more detail, could be a possibility.

As to the alternative, tests/Makefile.am already uses tests/mktests.sh
to extract a good portion of the public macros.  You could use that as
a starting point.