Re: Recursive directory Installation

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Recursive directory Installation
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 07:31:16 +0100

Hello Jeremiah,

this would rather be an Automake question than an Autoconf one.

* Jeremiah Benham wrote on Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 10:49:17PM CET:
> I want to recursively install everything that exists within a directory.
> I originally had it as this in an install hook in Makefile.am:
>
> install-data-hook:
>  cp -R directory

Rather, your rule should contain something like

        $(MKDIR_P) $(DESTDIR)$(foodir)
        cp -R directory $(DESTDIR)$(foodir)

But see the FAQ entry about wildcards in the Automake manual, and the
nodes Install and Extending.  Do you also want to install CVS/ or .svn
directories, #backup# files~ etc.?

> I don't know if the above will work with various packaging like dpkg or
> rpm.

Typically yes.  IIRC they look at the difference in the installed tree.

> I don't know what the most standard way to go about this. I began
> writing a script to generate recursively create Makefile.am in each
> subdirectory. Is there a more standard way of doing this. I read through
> the docs several times and am not sure which direction to take.

Rather than several Makefile.am files, you can also just use one.  Or
your construct above, if you have taken the appropriate precautions
about files you don't want installed.