How to specify a custom library directory

From: Bastien Dalla Piazza
Subject: How to specify a custom library directory
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 16:50:57 +0100

Hi,

I'm new to the autotools (and therefore also to this mailing list!) and I'm
struggling to give the user some building options.

I need to give the possibility to the user to specify custom directories for
external libraries which must be linked to my program.
So this would be an argument to the configure script like --<library
name>-dir=<custom path>.

I guess the given path must then be substituted in the makefiles with a
"AC_SUBST(CUSTOM_DIR)"

How to provide such an option (which macro in the configure.in file)?

Thanks!