Macro to give option to preprocessor depending on the compiler ?

From: Sébastien Le Roux
Subject: Macro to give option to preprocessor depending on the compiler ?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 13:59:11 -0500

Hello everyone,

I have prepared a 'configure.ac' which tests both for Fortran compilers and MPI library. If configure is done using '--with-mpi' option then the configure looks for MPI libs and if succeed ad the option '-DMPI' for the compilation of some files (F90) of the code. So far everything fines except that I have noticed that some compilers (IBMs: mpxlf90/mpxlf95) do not allows such command. For these compilers you need to tell first to the preprocessor that you are defining a variable using '-WF,-DMPI' the only command '-DMPI' won't work. I wonder if there is a macro to find the good way to tell this to the preprocessor, if needed, and
so I guess, depending on the Fortran compiler ?

I do not know all Fortran compilers, but if IBM compilers are the only one having this issue
I can only add an option in the IBM cases ...

Thanks for your advises.

Dr. Sébastien Le Roux
Department of Physics
203 Dow Science