Re: autoconf does not process README.in

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: autoconf does not process README.in
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 11:33:47 +0200

Hello Ajeet,

please don't top-post, thank you.

* Ajeet wrote on Sat, May 30, 2009 at 08:03:06AM CEST:
> On Sat, 30 May 2009 00:41:43 -0500, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> >
> > Why do you need to make substitutions in the README file? Usually this
> > file is read before the user ever runs ./configure, and contains package
> > specific information.
>
> What you say does make sense. Thats why I feel that the autoconf tools
> should be doing this substitution. Anyway, there could be a need to
> include version numbers etc. in the README file. The acmkdir script also
> creates a README.in file.

Then that looks like an issue with the acmkdir script.  Does it expect
you to manually edit the README.in file and rename it to README?

Anyway, I just wanted to add that you can get automake to ignore missing
README (and some other) files with `automake --foreign' or with adding
the `foreign' option to AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS in the toplevel Makefile.am, or
to the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE invocation in configure.ac.