Re: AC_CONFIG_FILES and chmod

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AC_CONFIG_FILES and chmod
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:01:30 +0200

* William Pursell wrote on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:27:39PM CEST:
> Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> > Now, since I have many generated files to set as executable, is there a
> > quicker way than to have an AC_CONFIG_FILES([...], [chmod +x ...])
> > instruction for each file?
>
> You can do:
>
> m4_esyscmd([for f in foo bar;
>         do echo "AC_CONFIG_FILES([$f],[chmod +x $f])"; done])
>
> Eric, is that safe?

That may be safe, I haven't checked, but in any case it is very ugly.
Please do not use m4_esyscmd unless it cannot be helped at all, it's
an ugly crutch and will only lead to problems.

You can use
  m4_foreach_w([my_file], [autoconf autoheader ...],
               [AC_CONFIG_FILES([my_file], [chmod +x my_file])])

to have less to type.  Note the expanded configure script doesn't grow
all that huge either, it adds at most a couple of lines per file.