Re: How can I test if the GNU or Sun linker is used?

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Re: How can I test if the GNU or Sun linker is used?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:34:44 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

I'd love to see a port to HP-UX, where I know at least one person is interested in Mathematical software, but the userbase is not large. Wolfram Research gave up development on AIX and IRIX many years ago, and HP-UX more recently.

It seems that AIX on P-Series is still going strong and has a devoted user-base.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn

AIX tends not to be use by maths/science people. It tends to attract the financial sector more I think. If someone wanted to work on a port of Sage to AIX, I'm sure it would be welcome. Porting to other OS's tends to show up bugs.

Of all the OS's I know where there is no porting effort made, HP-UX and NetBSD are probably the most likely candidates for someone getting interested in porting to that platform. Solaris semi-works, though it needs a bit of care in building, and is not without some issues.

A summary of the Solaris issues that remain are at:

http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/6710

Number 5 might interest you.