Optional GTK?

From: Patrick M. Rutkowski
Subject: Optional GTK?
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:21:06 -0400

If I were to run something like AM_PATH_GTK_2_0 in my configure.ac,
which checks for the presence of GTK, what would I do if GTK wasn't
found?

This might be the case on OS X, or on a KDE system.

I can potentially compile this library of mine with the GTK features
just left out, there's a lot more to the library that can still be
useful

But how do I do that?

A) Is it possible to get automake to just NOT COMPILE the gtk related
*.c files based on the autoconf results?
or
B) Do I take the gtk related *.c files and wrap them in big "#ifdef
USE_GTK / #endif" wrappers?

Is there a standard answer?

-Patrick