Re: Adding an external project to autoconf

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Adding an external project to autoconf
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:31:04 +0200

Hello Steffen,

* Steffen Dettmer wrote on Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:35:56PM CEST:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Dan Smithers wrote:
> > I am trying to add an external project to my autoconf setup.
>
> Could I add a related question:

Yes, but we'd slightly prefer if you started a new thread for a new
question.

> is there a way to have
> sub-package-specific configure options?

Not easily: the actual option strings as passed to each sub configure
are the same (modulo --srcdir and --cache-file mangling of course).

> For example, when having packages p1, p2 and p3 and a "p" top level
> configure listing them as subdirs and assuming all packages support
> "--enable-debug", is there a way to enable debug just for one package,
> lets say p2? Something like --enable-p2-debug or
> --conf-p2-enable-debug or so?

Well, if you author the sub packages then you could
  --enable-debug=PKG1,PKG2,...

and let each package find out whether it's listed there, and only enable
debug mode then.