Re: request for configure clarifications on darwin10

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: request for configure clarifications on darwin10
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:52:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Jack Howarth wrote:
ps Isn't darwin10 the very first hybrid OS which the configure machinary has
been
faced with? I am unaware of any other operating systems that ever differed the
architecture of the kernel and the default code execution/generation of the
default system compiler. Unfortunately both uname and arch will report i386 on
darwin10 on EMT64 capable hardware. Only booting the 64-bit kernel returns
coherency to the situation with uname and arch reporting x86_64.

The notion of a "system compiler" seems immaterial to me since we are not constrained to use it. If the compiler produces default code which does not run under the OS, that seems like a bug to me.

Sun's Solaris supports both 32 and 64 bit kernels. Under the 64 bit kernel (and the 32-bit kernel), config.guess reports "i386-pc-solaris2.10". It is true that the freely downloadable compiler from Sun does produce i386 type code by default.

There is only so much you can expect from config.guess. Except for extraordinary cases, I would expect that config.guess output would be based on output from 'uname'.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn