Re: how to support compilers that cannot create executables?

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: how to support compilers that cannot create executables?
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:19:19 +0200

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Steffen,
>
> * Steffen Dettmer wrote on Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 05:19:46PM CEST:
>> However, configure usually checks if the compiler can create
>> executables. Can (should) this be prevented?

Ohh I missed that this would mean no AC_CHECK_FUNC checks would work,
because they try to link an executable...
(is it true that AC_CHECK_FUNC would not work?)

> Can you write a compiler wrapper that *does* create the executable
> in a fairly standard way?

Of course such a wrapper would be possible, it could cp /bin/true
a.out or touch a.out. In case of arm-elf-gcc we could just omit
-nostdlib, but would get false positives about tests.

But because of the tests it would not make much sense to do so, right?
So it is better to have dummy entry code I think.
Sorry for my question, was not though-through.

Steffen