Re: multilib and Makefile regeneration

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: multilib and Makefile regeneration
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:03:10 +0200

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.devel/108469>

* Paolo Bonzini wrote on Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:53:17PM CEST:
> On 08/31/2009 11:11 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >The easiest for now would be (3), the coolest, most difficult and
> >probably most dangerous one would be (2).  Something like
> >   AC_CONFIG_FILES_COMMANDS(some/Makefile, more-user-commands,
> >                            [more-init-cmds])
> >
> >but then the order of issuing this and the respective
> >   AC_CONFIG_FILES(some/Makefile)
> >
> >would be significant.  I don't see any way to avoid this.
>
> You could specify that AC_CONFIG_FILES comes first, and *_COMMANDS
> occurrences come later in the order that appears in the source (and
> do nothing unless the corresponding AC_CONFIG_FILES exists).

Yes; but this would not solve the issue that, when interrupted, we could
end up with the wrong, intermediate Makefile.  I don't want to add a new
API that has known deficiencies.

Maybe going via an explicit intermediate file is better, a la
  AC_CONFIG_FILES([some/Makefile.ml:some/Makefile.in])
  AM_MULTILIB_FILES([some/Makefile:some/Makefile.ml])

but that requires that config.status is passed files in the right order
and rebuild dependencies in the Makefile are right.  Currently, however,
automake doesn't cope with something like the above at all ...