Re: ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 06:45:16 +0200

Hello Pierre,

* Pierre wrote on Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 11:28:20PM CEST:
> I built a Linux From Scratch 6.5 yesterday

which kind of puts you in the boat of fixing things yourself, no?  ;-)

> and had no problem doing
> "./configure" and "make" under chroot for all the packages. But since my
> reboot, when I chroot, if I launch any "./configure" script, nothing happens
> on the screen (configure loops, I echoed some messages), consumes more and
> more memory ("free -m" on the host), and at the end displays the following
> error message :

Can you add 'set -x' as second line to the configure script, run it, and
try to analyze it?  If it doesn't help, we're looking for reasons why it
"loops" (create and spawn configure.lineno more than once, or so).

You can post some of the output here, but if it's large, then please
gzip it.

Please mention which versions of Autoconf, (what?) shell, libc, and
kernel you're using.  sed, grep, awk, coreutils can't hurt either.