Re: Caching pkgdatadir in configure

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Caching pkgdatadir in configure
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:24:03 +0200

* Alberto Luaces wrote on Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 01:37:33PM CEST:
> I wrote a program that uses data files at runtime. I store them in
> $pkgdatadir, and it works fine.
>
> Sometimes I want to execute the program without installing it.

I prefer to do this without any recompiling or reconfiguring of the
code.  For example, by having a dedicated environment variable or
command line argument that overrides the pkgdatadir value that has been
compiled into the program.  Rationale: I'd like to test, as much as
possible, the exact same code that is later being installed.

The Autoconf package itself does it this way, too: the tools wrappers
in the tests/ directory (generated from tests/wrappers.as) set
autom4te_perllibdir and a few other variables, and use -B aka.
--prepend-include.

Hope that helps.