Re: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS & AC_CONFIG_FILES combo

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS & AC_CONFIG_FILES combo
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:45:49 -0400

Sam Steingold wrote:
I have a header file avcall.h which collects the results of autoconf tests, so it is mentioned in AC_CONFIG_HEADERS.
I also want it to define the package version cpp macro, so I added

#if !defined(LIBFFCALL_VERSION)
# define LIBFFCALL_VERSION @PACKAGE_VERSION@
#endif

I guess I can do this:

#if !defined(LIBFFCALL_VERSION)
# undef PACKAGE_VERSION
# define LIBFFCALL_VERSION PACKAGE_VERSION
#endif

and autoconf will replace it with

#if !defined(LIBFFCALL_VERSION)
# define PACKAGE_VERSION  123
# define LIBFFCALL_VERSION PACKAGE_VERSION
#endif

however, this is not good because the users of this package will have a conflict of my PACKAGE_VERSION with their PACKAGE_VERSION from their config.h. I cannot undef PACKAGE_VERSION in avcall.h because autoconf will replace it with "#define PACKAGE_VERSION ...".