Re: How to work around a missing library function?

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: How to work around a missing library function?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:39:20 -0500

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 16:25:54 Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:

> >> Thank you Mike, I will do that. I assume that will provide an
> >>  implementation for atoll(). But is the rest of my logic ok?
> >
> > while your logic looked ok, you dont need to worry about it with gnulib.
> > not only does it provide atoll replacements, but it takes care of the
> > configure tests and enabling it as needed as well.  your source code
> > shouldnt need to change -- it can be written to assume atoll exists.
> > it's a pretty badass project.
> > -mike
>
> A big problem is gnulib is GPL3 - I need to code to be GPL2, so I can not
>  use the library.

no, specific modules have different licenses.  review the license for the
specific module you wish to import, or use the --lgpl2 option to the gnulib-
tool script so it'll abort early if importing something with gpl3.

if a module you want is under gpl3 only, you can always ask to have it be
allowed under the lgpl2.  it isnt an uncommon request.

> The second issue is that I am not totally convinced the person who wrote
>  that code would appreciate all the dependencies of gnublib.
>
> I've suggested I convert his 'Configure' script to one which uses
> autoconf/automake. I think simplicity is needed here. I can't see him
>  objecting to a few lines of C inserted, but the code in gnulib has various
>  dependencies. It also calls strtoll() which does not exist, so that too
>  would have to be built.
>
> The author of the code does not use autoconf/automake, but said he would my
> changes as long as he could make changes easily. I'm a bit worried he might
>  just prefer his 'Configure' script anyway, which works well for him.
>
> I would like to avoid having m4 macros, and anything else that makes it
>  more difficult for someone to understand.

if you arent using autoconf, i'm not sure why you're posting to the autoconf
list.  gnulib really doesnt add any dependencies above autoconf/automake, and
those are pretty basic as it is.
-mike