Re: Dereference of undefined pointer value in conftest.c

From: Ruben Safir
Subject: Re: Dereference of undefined pointer value in conftest.c
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:15:18 -0500

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 09:10:47PM +0100, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> I just ran the clang static analyzer on the xserver configure script and
> it reported a few issues. Most of them were dead assignments/increments,
> but there also was one dereference of an undefined pointer value. I
> don't know which tests the conftest.c belongs to, but I doubt it's to
> test if an application can safely write to unknown memory ;). The test
> contains the following code:
>
> { /* SCO 3.2v4 cc rejects this. */
>     char *t;
>     char const *s = 0 ? (char *) 0 : (char const *) 0;
>     *t++ = 0; /* <<< t is undefined! */
>     if (s) return 0;
> }
>
> Tell me if you want more informations or if you are interested in the
> full report from clang.
>
> tom

This whole piece of code looks screwed up to me.  Why would a trinary
operator try to return anonymous nulls?

Ruben

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like
Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world  - RI Safir
1998

"The tremendous problem we face is that we are becoming sharecroppers to our
own cultural heritage -- we need the ability to participate in our own society."

You must be a stupid engineer then, because politcs and technology have been
attached at the hip since the 1st dynasty in Ancient Egypt.  I guess you missed
that one."

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium