Re: AC_CHECK_FUNCS and gcc with -Werror

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_FUNCS and gcc with -Werror
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:33:27 +0100

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> wrote:
> Another aspect is -Wall and -Werror are moving (and
> architecture dependent) targets. I.e. the number of warnings
> GCC will issue changes over time, triggering different kind of
> warnings.

Yes, new compiler versions or includes (SDK updates) often lead
to new warnings.

> I.e. the best your "Development Rules" will be able to achieve
> is "warning free" compilation in a very narrowly pre-defined
> setup, with a well defined toolchain.

Yes, you are right of course, those rules do not apply to all
software and toolchains but to the we release as binary builds.

> > The problem is that no one has submitted a patch to make
> > configure and -Werror try to play nicely, until last month;
> > and even then, it is not the easiest thing in the world to
> > do.
>
> There is another aspect: There exist configure-checks which
> rely on switching on/off -Werror. I haven't checked how this
> recent submission co-exists with such kind of configure-checks.

ohh sorry, I expressd myself wrongly. As I already wrote Eric,
for us it does not matter how -Werror is switched internally,
only that it is set within Makefile.

oki,

Steffen