Re: Motivation for renaming configure.in to configure.ac and its effect?

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Motivation for renaming configure.in to configure.ac and its effect?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:10:59 +0100

On 03/08/2010 05:55 PM, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Steffen Dettmer wrote:

I'm trying to understand the motivation for renaming configure.in
to configure.ac. If I remember correctly it was related to the
fact that ./config.status or whoever else processes .in files.

IMHO, the only real reason to rename configure.in to configure.ac is, that
some future Autoconf version may cease to accept the 'bugward' compatible
old name.
Only partially.

Suffix rules/mime-types are the keywords you are looking for. Whether the files are named *.ac or *.in doesn't make much of a difference to autoconf, but to other tools, e.g. automake, GUIs, browsers, editors etc.

Everything else is philosophy/ideology.
Well, I presume your C-sources are named *.jpg?

Ralf

PS.: Yes, I strongly think it's time for autoconf to bury configure.in. It's an anachronism worth to ditch, ASAP.