Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99 and AC_OPENMP

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99 and AC_OPENMP
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 10:11:58 -0400

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Joel,
>
> * Joel J. Adamson wrote on Wed, May 05, 2010 at 09:34:55PM CEST:
> > I have just tried to build one of my autotools-based projects on a
> > machine with Autoconf 2.59 [1], and it does not recognize
> >
> > AC_PROG_CC_C99
> > AC_OPENMP
>
> Yep.  AC_PROG_CC_C99 was added in 2.59c, and AC_OPENMP in 2.62,
> according to the NEWS file.
>
> If you don't need to work with Autoconf < 2.62, I suggest you add an
>   AC_PREREQ([2.62])

I had it, and then I discovered that the Beowulf cluster (emerald) at
the university here has version 2.59.  The CFLAGS solution does cover
the C99 problem, so I will use it.

> to your configure.ac file.  If you do need it, then for AC_OPENMP your
> best bet is grabbing the macro from gnulib, or the similar ACX_OPENMP
> from the Autoconf Macro Archive, but the latter has slightly different
> semantics IIRC.

Good suggestions, thanks.

> advise your co-developers with older Autoconfen to not build the
> distribution tarball, and supply a flag for C99 mode to their $CC
> setting.

My "co-developers" are myself on other computers ;)

If any of you are interested in collaborating, the project is hosted on
Savannah:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/haploid/

Thanks for the suggestions,

Joel