Re: how to add this function to the aclole.m4

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how to add this function to the aclole.m4
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 20:41:18 +0200

Hello Ralph,

please don't top-post, it makes threads hard to read; thank you.

* Ralph Blach wrote on Thu, May 20, 2010 at 08:27:02PM CEST:
> Eric Blake wrote:
> >On 05/19/2010 05:21 PM, Ralph Blach wrote:
> >>I want to add this function to the aclocal.m4
> >>
> >>How do I do it.
> >Are you using automake?  If so, just stick the function in a file in the
> >same directory as where you tell 'aclocal -I dir' to look.  If not, just
> >paste it in.
[...]
> I am quite happy with aclocal, but and the default macros,
>
> Is there anyway I can add a directory, and still have aclocal use new macro.

Yes, as Eric indicated: you can do it like this:

- create a m4/ subdirectory of your top source directory,
- create a file m4/mymacro.m4 with the macro(s) contents,
- add the line
    ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4
  to the toplevel Makefile.am file,
- optionally also add the line
    AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])
  to the configure.ac file

and rerun 'autoreconf -v'.  If your configure.ac file uses the macro,
then it should now be picked up from the file in the m4 directory.

Have fun,