Re: Most appropriate location for installing example programs?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Most appropriate location for installing example programs?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 06:26:06 +0200

Hello Sam,

please don't top-post, thank you.

* Sam Shin wrote on Wed, May 26, 2010 at 03:32:09AM CEST:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> > On 05/25/2010 03:44 PM, Sam Shin wrote:
> > > I'm debating over what the most appropriate location for installing
> > > example programs for a library would be. Would it be acceptable to
> > > install example programs into datadir?

Not in general, because datadir may be shared between systems with
different binary conventions.

> These would be actually compiled binaries used to test the library. Thanks.

Then I suggest something like pkglibexecdir aka. $(libexecdir)/PACKAGE
or a subdirectory thereof.  That's not ideal, but seems to be better
than the alternatives.

Whatever you do, if you happen to use Automake and define a new
directory variable for this, be sure to include the string "exec" in the
variable name, so that it is hooked to 'make install-exec' rather than
'make install-data' (see info Automake "The Two Parts of Install").