Re: porting with autotools

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: porting with autotools
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:12:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Steffen Dettmer wrote:

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Reuben Hawkins <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm porting a large Windows toolkit to Linux, OSX, etc.  Is there a
tool which will walk my directory structure outputting Makefile.am in
each directory where needed?

I'd recommend to consider alternatives to the `one Makefile.am per
direcory' approach in favor of fewer makefiles, maybe only one
per component. As far as I know automake fully supports this.

Even with the non-recursive case, there can be one true "Makefile" but individual Makefile.am files may live in the subdirectories and be included into a master top-level Makefile.am. The files in the subdirectories do not need to be named Makefile.am.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn