Re: porting with autotools

From: Reuben Hawkins
Subject: Re: porting with autotools
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:44:20 -0700

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Ralf Wildenhues
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Reuben,
>
> please don't top-post on this list, thank you.
>
> * Reuben Hawkins wrote on Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 01:31:12AM CEST:
>> Thanks for the script.  It didn't quite do the trick for me.  I wrote
>> c code which does....  Now I have 350 Makefile.am's to go though!  :)
>>
>> Here's my source...  git://gitorious.org/amgen/amgen.git
>
> That's actually a quite nice idea, and you are not the first person to
> have this idea.
>
> We already have autoscan to generate a stub configure.ac file, but it's,
> umm, rather not evolving rapidly, doesn't create Makefile.am files.
> I think it would be a nice addition, to Automake or Autoconf, to have a
> program that would generate some stub Makefile.am files.
>
> The program could have options to generate recursive or non-recursive
> setups, or some mixture (if that is easy to describe with options).
>
> I would prefer that the program be in a non-compiled language, actually
> perl would fit as several of the autotools programs use it already.
>
> Would you be willing to work on this?  Please be aware that nontrivial
> contributions to GNU software require copyright assignments before we
> can look at your code or accept it.
>
> Thanks,
> Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Sorry about the top posting... I blame gmail.

I've been working on the code and posting to gitorious.  I don't mind
adding copyright headers (as long as it's the "share your work" kind).
 I'd be willing to add more command line options.  So far I've only
added what I need to get my work done.

I hear Perl is a nice language, but I'm many times over more fluent in
C.  I'm a fish out of water in Perl so I'll have to stick to C, but
just out of curiosity, why is non-compiled language preferable?

If you don't mind, point me to a reasonable copyright header and I'll
commit them to my source.

Thanks,
Reuben