Re: Overriding LN_S

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: Overriding LN_S
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 21:45:13 +0200

Den 2010-09-02 21:32 skrev Ralf Wildenhues:
> Hi Peter,
>
> * Peter Rosin wrote on Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 09:18:29PM CEST:
>> For various reasons I want to override the decision autoconf
>> makes regarding LN_S. It it set to "ln -s" on my system which
>> is perfectly fine in every normal case. But in my abnormal case
>> I want it to be "cp -p". What can I do?
>
> I'm rather sure either LN_S or as_ln_s used to be overridable at one
> point, but doesn't seem to be the case in the current code.  Hmm, I
> see ac_cv_prog_LN_S in Autoconf from ten years ago, but that code had
> other problems too.
>
> One workaround would be to write a wrapper program called ln which does
> exit 1.  :-)  Or, if you somehow need links for something else, fail if
> source and target match conf[1-9][0-9]*.* (regex not glob notation)
> after disregarding -s, that ought to catch the typical configure tests.

Yes, that will probably work, but it would be so much easier to be able
to say .../configure LN_S="cp -p"

>> I also want this to
>> propagate to recursive autoconf invocations, so it is not
>> sufficient to manually edit the generated configure script.
>
> You mean recursive configure invocations?

No, I meant that some libtool tests invoke autoconf, and then configures
the result, e.g. libtool/tests/recursive.at
If I hack up my top level configure to go with LN_S="cp -p", that will
not matter when the testsuite gets to recursive.at, since it will
reset LN_S to "ln -s". At least I think it will, I haven't actually
tried...

Cheers,
Peter