Why doesn't config.log quote invocation command line?

From: Daily, Jeff A
Subject: Why doesn't config.log quote invocation command line?
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:04:51 -0700

I'm seeing this behavior currently in a configure script generated by autoconf
2.67, but I've seen this behavior in 2.65 as well.  I have users who would like
to copy and paste the command line they used to configure their package but
they can't use it directly if the arguments aren't properly quoted.  For
example:

../configure --with-foo="arg1 arg2"

Will be copied to config.log as:

../configure --with-foo=arg1 arg2 --no-create --no-recursion

I understand it's not that big of a deal to add the quotes manually, but I'm
more concerned that my users are getting confused - they think this is how they
actually ran configure, and I can see why.  What appears is config.log is not a
true representation of the command line.

Is this intended behavior?

Thanks,
Jeff