could not setup config headers machinery

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: could not setup config headers machinery
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:53:46 +0100

I'm trying to sort out why the latest version of the GNU Scientific Library
(GSL)

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gsl/gsl-1.14.tar.gz

does not build properly on some AIX systems (the developers are aware of it).

I need to check if 'fprnd_t' is defined in float.h or not.

Is there any particular trick needed to check for things in float.h?

The *only* change I've made is this single line in configure.ac

AC_CHECK_DECLS([fprnd_t],[],[],[[#include <float.h>]])

But after running will always cause the generated configure script to fail to execute properly - see below. Notice it does not find 'fprnd_t', (on the second line) but then later generates an error.

checking whether isinf is declared... no
checking whether fprnd_t is declared... no
checking whether isfinite is declared... no
checking whether finite is declared... yes
checking whether isnan is declared... yes
checking whether log1p is declared... yes
checking for long double stdio... yes
checking for extended floating point registers... yes
checking for IEEE arithmetic interface type... solaris
checking for IEEE compiler flags... none
checking for IEEE comparisons... yes
checking for IEEE denormalized values... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: error: invalid argument: `Makefile.'
config.status: error: could not setup config headers machinery

Conversely, if I change it to

AC_CHECK_DECLS([fprnd_t],[],[],[[#include <math.h>]])

then the configure script works. But checking in math.h is not a lot of use when I want to check in float.h

I've attached a copy of the configure.ac that fails for me. Have you any suggestions what I can do to make this check for fprnd_t in float.h?

The annoying this is, I could have swore this was working at one time, but perhaps that was on the IBM machine, whereas I'm now running on a Sun. But that seems unlikely to be the reason.

Dave