Re: Arithmetic Shift

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Arithmetic Shift
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:39:17 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:

Excuse me?  Why do you think that preprocessor should match the
behavior of compiler???

Excuse me? Why do you think that the behavior of the compiler should be consistent? :-)

Why, why system's /usr/bin/cpp that come from GCC should match to
Clang's behavior?  Or ICC's behavior?  Remember: Accordingly to your
logic, if it doesn't match, then it is invalid.  Why?  And if ICC and
Clang interpret -1 >> 1 differently, then it renders GCC's CPP
constantly invalid?

Since you mention Clang (LLVM-based) then it is worth pointing out that final code generation may be delayed and so it is possible that the CPU type finally selected may not match the CPU type on which the original tests were executed. Part of the behavior depends on the CPU.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn