Re: configure -C by default?

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: configure -C by default?
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 13:02:54 +0100

On 02/07/2011 12:39 PM, Peter Rosin wrote:
Den 2011-02-07 11:12 skrev Ralf Corsepius:
On 02/07/2011 10:02 AM, Peter Rosin wrote:
Den 2011-02-07 09:14 skrev Ralf Corsepius:
Provided how HW has developed since the discussions from 10 years
ago, you cited about, I am actually leaning towards proposing the
converse of your proposal: Autoconf toconsider to abandoning
config.cache.
No, it still needs to be optional.
I don't have anything against this. However, it's simply that the
overwhelming majority of current packages hasn't been developed
with config.caches in mind. And of those which really use it
(complex packages such as GCC or GDB) occasionally to get things
wrong. So, IMO, the advantage you believe to see on cygwin or mingw
is of limited benefit.
What do you mean by "believe to see" and "of limited benefit"?
When you apply config.caches across packages, there is no guarantee that the values stored in a config.cache have the same semantics/meaning.

I.e. when trying to share config.caches between packages (esp. independently developed ones),
* you are at risk of _silently_ miscompiling something.
* not to gain much, because a configure-script doesn't not honor config.caches (Pretty typical for "modern" configure script using non-standard macros).

These were the aspects I was referring to.

You are apparently not getting it, or you are downplaying my use case
deliberately.
Neither - I am using autoconf for many, many years and am well aware about the benefits config.cache can have, when _carefully_ being used.

However, in contemporary development on todays, I've rare experienced config-caches to be more of a nuissance but to be of real advantage.

  The advantage I see for the packages I care about and
regularly work on is very real: the experience moves from the "pain in
the ass" category to "bearable" when I enable the cache.

I'm not talking about one-time builds on Cygwin, I talking about doing
development there.
Well, I would not want to use Cygwin ;)