Re: Multiple subdirectories with non-similar configure needs

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: Multiple subdirectories with non-similar configure needs
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 00:41:33 -0700

Ralf wrote:
> * Harlan Stenn wrote on Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 09:04:09AM CEST:
> >
> > Not sure if this is a great idea or not, but the only other alternative
> > I can think of is to modify the configure.ac in the subpackage, and I
> > would rather not do that as it creates "extra work" when I go to upgrade
> > the subpackage.
>
> But you are aware of the configure.gnu "trick"?  See info Autoconf
> Subdirectories for the semantics.

I'll check that out, thanks.

> The trick is: you adjust the flags in subpkg/configure.gnu, then call
> subpkg/configure with them.  The subpkg/configure.gnu file might
> actually belong to the toplevel package.  A hack, but fairly easy.

In the srcdir?  How would that work for distcheck, which, as I recall,
uses a read-only srcdir to simulate building from read-only media.

But I'll read up on it anyway, to see if configure.gnu can be put in the
build-dir before running srcdir/configure .

> I like the idea of a more flexible AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS replacement, but
> the suggested API does not really look appropriate yet, with all the
> finer details of precious variables, (non-)shared config.cache handling
> and so on still needing sane and precise semantics.

Understood and agreed - thanks!