web gateways [was: Using GCC -MM flag]

From: Eric Blake
Subject: web gateways [was: Using GCC -MM flag]
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 08:01:42 -0600

On 05/05/2011 06:59 AM, Charles Brown wrote:

>> Autoconf doesn't have anything to do with dependency generation
>> decisions.  This is all under the control of automake, so you may have
>> better results asking on the automake lists.
>>
> will do. Although I did find the configure options
>   --disable-dependency-tracking  speeds up one-time build
>   --enable-dependency-tracking   do not reject slow dependency extractors
> and there is no difference either way, so it seems to be a dead issue.

Hopefully not a dead issue, but again, automake is the better place.

>> disclaimer unenforceable.  You might get better response if you send
>> from a different account.
>
> I hate for you all to think I'm a jerk.

Not at all; you're not the first person to struggle with this issue.

> The disclaimer is tacked on by
> the outgoing server and is beyond my control. I forget it's going to be
> there. Also, use of a non-business account for business is strictly
> forbidden.  Is there a non-SMTP way to post?  I didn't see one on the
> mail lists page.

In fact, there is.  The gmane interface includes a web submission form
that allows you to post or reply to many lists; for autoconf, look at:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.autoconf.general

However, it is quite lousy at cross-threading; it doesn't know how to
reply-to-all, and if a message was cross-posted, you have to know the
original list that it was posted to if you want to find the entire thread.

The nabble interface is slightly better about displaying cross-posted
mail on all lists where it was sent, but tags on an advertising clause
if you post via the web interface (which is better than a legal
disclaimer, but still not ideal):

http://old.nabble.com/Gnu---Autoconf-f1479.html

If anyone knows of a better web gateway that can properly handle
cross-posting, I would love to know about it.

One more thing - while there may be a rule about not sending mail from a
personal account while you are at work, there is no rule about sending
mail from a personal account when you get home.  If you don't mind the
latency of not asking the question until you get home, then that is also
a solution to avoiding an employer's legalese disclaimer.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682