RE: Autoconf MPI macros

From: Daily, Jeff A
Subject: RE: Autoconf MPI macros
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 09:16:26 -0700

There are additional shortcomings that we noticed while trying to use MPI
compilers with autotools.  Specifically to autoconf, on some systems the MPI
compilers produce incorrect results for the AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS test.  We
use AC_PROG_CC, AC_PROG_F77, and AC_PROG_CXX and pass in a well-known list of
possible MPI compilers to search for so that CC, F77, and CXX are set and used
throughout the configure script.  However, we then immediately "unwrap" the MPI
compilers to determine the standard compilers.  We pass the unwrapped compilers
to AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS.

Further, if you're using libtool, you must pass the unwrapped compilers to
libtool because libtool unfortunately compares against compiler names.  Worse
yet, after libtool is finished with its tests, we have to substitute back in
the MPI compilers which is a hack, at best.

Of course, if the user passes the MPI include paths, library paths, and MPI
libraries manually then there is no issue since a standard compiler is then
used throughout.  We only have issues trying to use the MPI compilers.  Our
default is to use the compiler wrappers, but we allow the user to pass
arguments to our --with-mpi option which then disables the use of the MPI
compilers.

I've attached hopefully all relevant m4 files we use in our project, Global
Arrays.

Website: http://www.emsl.pnl.gov/docs/global/

SVN: https://svn.pnl.gov/hpctools
Jeff Daily