Re: _AC_LANG_ABBREV on Mac

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: _AC_LANG_ABBREV on Mac
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 17:00:06 -0400

On 2011-06-07 14:30 -0600, Jim Edwards wrote:
> -n checking for autoconf >= 2.54 ...
> yes (version 2.61)
[...]
> configure:23907: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_ECHO
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure:23907: error: possibly undefined macro: _AC_LANG_ABBREV
>
> I see that both these macros exist in my /usr/share/autoconf tree - why
> isn't it finding them?

Looking at the git history, AS_ECHO was introduced after autoconf
version 2.61, and was first available in autoconf 2.62 (there's a 2.61a
tag, but I don't see a corresponding tarball on ftp.gnu.org).

Autoconf 2.61 is almost 5 years old; you may wish to try a newer
version.  Also, you may want to advise the maintainers of this package
to increase the minimum autoconf version from 2.54, since apparently
they require at least 2.62.

The second error is very likely just fallout from the first, and it will
go away with an autoconf version that supports AS_ECHO.

Hope that helps,
--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)