Re: Request for inclusion [was: Re: Autoconf MPI macros]

From: Christian Rössel
Subject: Re: Request for inclusion [was: Re: Autoconf MPI macros]
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:44:25 +0200

Am 15.06.2011 20:15, schrieb Olaf Lenz:
Hi!

On 06/15/2011 12:20 PM, Peter Simons wrote:
Now, I wonder what to do about AX_MPI. It seems to me like your
macros make that older version obsolete. Do you think we should
deprecate AX_MPI and delete it, eventually?

In principle, the macro is still useful if somebody doesn't want to
compile *all* his code using the MPI compiler, but only some files.
However, I have no clear idea why someone would want to do that...

We are doing exactly that, but we have two configures, one for the usual CC and one for MPICC where we set CC=$MPICC before calling AC_PROG_CC. We used to have one configure in the beginning of the project; at that time we used AX_MPI but we don't use it any longer.

The use case is that we build four libraries (serial, OpenMP, MPI, hybrid). The common code is factored out and build by the usual CC into a convenience library. The serial and OpenMP parts are also build using the usual CC, whereas the MPI and hybrid parts are build by the MPI compiler. In the end we link the common part into all of the four libraries (http://www.vi-hps.org/projects/score-p).

Christian

Does anybody here have an application for the old macros? If nobody has
an idea, then we can as well deprecate the macro.

Olaf