Re: xlf95 does not accept "-D" from autoconf

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: xlf95 does not accept "-D" from autoconf
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 20:55:21 +0200

* Christoffer Hirth wrote on Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 03:00:12PM CEST:
> > Jim Edwards wrote:
> > >    However on machines using IBM's fortran compiler (xlf90 or 95)
> > >    compilation fails due to unsupported defined variables "-DPACKAGENAME"
> > >    etc.
> > >    On ibm this should be passed as -WF,-DPACKAGENAME.
> > >
> > >    How can I modify autotools behaviour, or simply skip these definitions
> > >    (they are not used)?
> > >
> > AC_FC_PP_DEFINE()  in recent autoconf versions handles this correctly.

> AC_FC_PP_DEFINE seems to be included in commit
> 8c2db1c128fbcee77530b813f45a575c37a0f10f
> at 2. apr. 2011.
>
> The latest version however is dated 22. sep. 2010, so I would have to
> build this from git?

Right.

> Are there no known solutions in latest stable?

No, sorry; but the Autoconf Macro Archive has a similar macro IIRC.
Also note that AC_FC_PP_DEFINE is not a full solution to the
problem.  Automake still uses $(DEFS) instead of switching to a new
variable like $(FCDEFS) or so, which Autoconf still needs to export.

Cf. http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2011-05/msg00017.html

Hope that helps.