Re: System files and "make distcheck"

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: System files and "make distcheck"
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:11:05 -0400

On 2011-06-27 12:08 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> It looks as if the standard GNU installation method would require
> every user to run ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc

If the user wants those config files to be installed to /etc, then yes.

> whereas most would just try the usual ./configure && make.  Given the
> choice between a convenient installation for the user, and a working
> distcheck, I think I'll have to take the convenient installation.

It's not very convenient for users who do not have root access to a
machine or otherwise don't want to write to system-wide installation
directories (such users therefore may want to install with something
like --prefix=$HOME/sw).

Users who want to install multiple versions of your package may also
be inconvenienced.

Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)