Re: Autoconf distributions and xz dependency

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Autoconf distributions and xz dependency
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 17:10:17 -0700

On 03/02/2012 04:48 PM, Warren Young wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, Eric Blake wrote:
>>
>> The Autoconf team is considering releasing only .xz files for 2.69;
>
> What problem are y'all trying to solve here?  Is gnu.org running out of
> disk space or bandwidth?

No, space and bandwidth are not the primary driver.

> A better argument is the one behind RPM moving to xz: so they can keep
> adding bigger and more packages without moving to a second DVD.  But, I
> don't see that applying to gnu.org.

Actually, this really is part of the reason - since xz is technically
superior to gzip (better compression, same decompression speeds), we are
doing users a favor by getting xz installed and commonly available in
more places.

But enough people have complained, that for at least 2.69, I will still
ship a .gz tarball.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266