Re: How can I enable option-checking from configure.ac after it being de

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: How can I enable option-checking from configure.ac after it being default-disabled?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:59:59 -0600

On 03/19/2012 09:48 AM, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>> Meta-question: Why are you disabling option-checking in the first place?
>
> Missing a negation?

Perhaps.  That's the problem with double negatives.  A better wording
might be:

Since option checking ignores unknown options by default, why are you
explicitly trying to enable option checking?

>>  It's contrary to GNU Coding Standards
>
> (JFTR: I don't see support for that statement at
> <http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/>, just an incidental
> observation.)

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Configuration

All configure scripts should accept all of the “detail” options and the
variable settings, whether or not they make any difference to the
particular package at hand. In particular, they should accept any option
that starts with ‘--with-’ or ‘--enable-’. This is so users will be able
to configure an entire GNU source tree at once with a single set of
options.

>> (the ability to disable option
>> checking is provided for non-GNU packages, but doesn't get as much
>> testing because GNU packages shouldn't be using it in the first place).
>
> But I don't *want* to disable option-checking,
> that's just what happens when I have AC_CONFIG_SUBDIR!
>
> If I could, I'd explicitly enable it; the point of this request!

Again, sorry for my poor wording - the ability to enable the rejection
of unknown options is what is contrary to GCS, and yet it is this
explicit enabling of rejecting unknown options that you are trying to
accomplish.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266