Re: Problem using AC_CANONICAL_BUILD

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Problem using AC_CANONICAL_BUILD
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:40:56 -0600

On 04/13/2012 01:31 PM, Dawood Tariq wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm using autoconf 2.68 on Darwin kernel version 10.8.0. I want to use
> the AX_PROG_JAVAH macro to determine the location of the jni.h header
> file and set the CPPFLAGS accordingly. This macro uses the $build_os
> variable which is generated by the AC_CANONICAL_BUILD macro. If I don't
> use the AX_PROG_JAVAH and AC_CANONICAL_BUILD macros, my configure script
> works fine. But if I invoke either of them, I get the following error:
>
> configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "."
> "./.." "./../.."
>
> Why am I getting this message and how can I get around it?

Probably because you didn't properly populate your AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR
directory.  I'm guessing you aren't using automake (since automake will
automatically place a copy of install-sh into your CONFIG_AUX_DIR)?  If
so, the solution is to manually place a version of install-sh alongside
your copies of config.guess and config.sub, all in the directory you
passed to AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR (or, if you aren't using AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR,
into your top-level directory, although I do recommend using
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR).  The version of install-sh shipped with autoconf
2.68 is adequate for the purpose.

https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Canonicalizing

https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Input

--