"autoreconf -I" vs. = -I

From: Дилян Палаузов
Subject: "autoreconf -I" vs. = -I
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 20:44:42 +0200

is there any point to run "autoreconf -I directory1", when "ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I directoty1" is in the corresponding ?

In the documentation of Automake 1.12, node "Local Macros", is written, that ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS is used by autoreconf to run aclocal.

In the documentation of Autoconf 2.69, node "autoreconf invocation" is written, that autoreconf passes its -I parameter to aclocal, autoconf and autoheader.

The documentation of autoheader states indirectly, that it accepts "-I" parameter to search the directory for AC_DEFINE macros. Is it enough to pass -I to aclocal and skip it with autoheader later?

The further, the documentation for the command autoconf states, that the command accepts "-I directory" parameter. What does autoconf do with its -I parameter, if aclocal has put all stuff already in ./aclocal.m4?

What is the point to define in "ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I something" in, if autoreconf has to be run anyway with "-I something" in order to pass it to autoheader and autoconf?

Thanks in advance for your comments