Re: How to exclude a directory from PATH when searching an executable ?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: How to exclude a directory from PATH when searching an executable ?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:13:46 -0600

On 06/14/2012 10:06 AM, Timothy Madden wrote:
> Anyway, I found the REJECT argument to AC_CHECK_PROG in the
> documentation, too bad it is not present for AC_CHECK_TOOL, also..

There's also AC_PATH_PROGS_FEATURE_CHECK, which lets you filter out
tools based on features rather than location.

> But as others have said, I am not sure rejecting the tool found on the
> system is the right thing to do after all.

Feature checking is ALWAYS the way to go, in the autoconf philosophy.
If the tool misbehaves, then you can distill that into a feature check
and reject the tool based on the failure.  If the tool does not
misbehave, then there is no reason to avoid it.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266