Re: Build directory option for configure script

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Build directory option for configure script
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:59:31 -0700

Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> writes, proposing a new
"configure" option:
> it might be something like:
>
> --builddir=DIR           object and libraries
>
> which is essentially the same as doing:
>
> mkdir ../DIR
> cd ../DIR
> ../<projname>/configure OTHER_OPTS
> cd ../<projname>

Following the "configure", the next step will be to run "make".
To do that, the user will need to "cd" into the new directory.
So in a common workflow, this will save only one line of typing,
where:

        mkdir DIR
        cd DIR
        ../configure
        make

becomes

        ./configure --builddir=DIR
        cd DIR
        make

To me, the benefit seems questionable, especially since DIR is
repeated the same number of times in each case, and "mkdir" is
shorter than "--builddir".

(I put my build directories below the source directory, not as
siblings of the source.)