Re: [autoconf] Problems Configuring (C Compiler cannot produce executabl

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: [autoconf] Problems Configuring (C Compiler cannot produce executables)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:13:20 -0400

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 August 2012 18:28:52 Russ Allbery wrote:
>> special exceptions.  Being able to turn off executable stack as at least
>> another easily-accessible option is an interesting idea, and I may raise
>> that on debian-devel.  (Although it can be a little hard to predict which
>> packages need that.
>
> it's trivial to locate:
>         readelf -lW /bin/bash | grep GNU_STACK
> if it's set as RWE, that's bad.  if the ELF lacks a GNU_STACK, that's bad.
I believe there is more to it. The PT_GNU_STACK marking must be
present *and* have a size of 0. See Ian Lance Taylor's blog
http://www.airs.com/blog/archives/120.

Trivia: How does one audit a Gentoo binary for no-exec heap
compliance. Hint: its not readelf because Gentoo did not modify the
utility to dump PaX flags. (I'm asking because it took me some time to
discover the information).

Jeff